Michael Mead spent his early years traveling with his family and attending schools overseas. At 18, done with school and unsure of what he wished to do professionally, Michael decided to try his hand at accounting. After quickly establishing that perhaps the last thing he wished was to spend the rest of his life auditing, Michael enrolled in a teacher training class at a local dance studio, and was offered a job after only six months of dance training.
The lust for travel instilled in Michael in his early years soon took hold, ultimately leading him to California, where he opened Londance, now one of the top competitive dance studios in the U.S., in Costa Mesa, California. Though Michael sold his ownership share in 1989 in order to concentrate on the serious pursuit of a competitive dance career, he continues to teach there (and at Champion Ballroom in San Diego) to this day.
Michael and his partner Toni Redpath formed a professional partnership and developed a unique style that ultimately led them to setting a record by winning the U.S. Open Championships 4 years in a row (undefeated throughout) before retiring from competition in 2002. On September 28th 2000, Toni and Michael were married on the island of Kauai, becoming partners in life as well as on the dance floor.
Currently Toni and Michael coach many of the U.S. top competitive couples, as well as judging for competitions and traveling the world doing shows.
- Four Time Undefeated U.S. Ballroom Champions: 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002
- World DanceSport Classic Showdance Champions Finalists
- National Professional Rising Star Champions: 1998
- Canadian Open American Ballroom Champions: 2000, 2001
- National Showdance Championships Runners Up: 2001
- Choreographer on FOX So You Think You Can Dance
- Featured dancer and champion on PBS America’s Ballroom Challenge
- Featured dancer and champion on Championship Ballroom Dancing
- Feature film Dance with Me.
DVIDA Master Examiner
This instructor is associated with the following syllabi:
This instructor is associated with the following variations:
This instructor is associated with the following techniques: