Dance Vision proudly presents
The Ballroom Dance Teachers College Curriculum
a teacher training system where everyone wins!
The Ballroom Dance Teachers College Curriculum is a proven and comprehensive system with everything you need to run a successful ballroom dance teacher training program. It is a complete package with lesson plans, textbooks, media and administrative resources.
The genius of the Curriculum is that you can run this program similar to other professional schools (i.e. cosmetology, yoga teacher training, law school, etc). There is no prerequisite for trainees other than the desire to make dance their career. It’s also for those students who want to train with a more academic approach than regular dance training. You are not obligated to hire the graduates, however, when you do hire a graduate, you will know they are true professionals who have achieved a high standard of excellence.
This program is a WIN WIN! Your studio will be staffed for life with fantastic teachers who your students love, and you’ll be giving aspiring teachers the education they need to have the career of their dreams.
Who Created the Curriculum?
The BDTC Curriculum represents the culmination of Diane Jarmolow’s 40 years in the ballroom dance industry. Diane founded the renowned Metronome Ballroom and the Ballroom Dance Teachers College, is a National Examiner for DVIDA®, a DanceSport Adjudicator, author of Teach Like a Pro and co-author of Move Like a Champion, created and revised numerous DVIDA® manuals and developed the professional testing system for DVIDA®. You may also know her from the Dance Vision Dance Camps where she led studio management seminars and ran the “Get Certified!” programs. Still, Diane feels this is her greatest accomplishment to date — the development of the Ballroom Dance Teachers College Curriculum.
What is the Curriculum?
The BDTC Curriculum is a systematic, rigorous yet engaging program for training people to become ballroom dance teachers, and is comprised of two essential parts: the Business Kit and Master Teacher Manuals. Our Curriculum has proven to create professionals who are are well-rounded in all important aspects of teaching ballroom dance:
- Dance and teach over 250 figures in 17 dances as both Leader and Follower
- Know how to teach mechanics, posture, frame and movement
- Interpersonal skills for long-term and successful relationships with their students
This 300- hour course is based on the nationally-recognized DVIDA® Syllabus and covers 17 dances in the American Style Smooth, Rhythm and Nightclub dances. There are 128 detailed lesson plans with innovative exercises and homework assignments, as well as routines, written tests and exam assignments. The Business Kit portion of the Curriculum supports the program by providing administrative guidelines, marketing materials, course templates and forms, exam day materials, study sheets, samples of supportive feedback and supplemental textbooks.
Who is this for and Why do you need it?
This Curriculum provides everything you need to create a successful Teacher Training program. As many studio owners have discovered, training teachers for free doesn’t work. Not only do people not value things they don’t pay for, but it costs an average of $22K per year to train one teacher. With BDTC Curriculum you can:
- Create an endless supply of well-trained teachers by hiring the top graduates
- Create a new stream of reliable income
- Add credibility to your school
- Raise the standard of excellence and improve teaching skills of existing staff
This Curriculum is not just for studios, teachers can benefit immediately, too. Have you ever been stumped about “how” to teach a particular figure, technique or aspect of dance? With detailed teaching information, innovative exercises and tips, BDTC Curriculum provides a wealth of valuable teaching material:
- Common mistakes students typically make and how best to teach a figure
- How to teach different elements (dance positions, foot positions, alignments, etc)
- New vocabulary for teaching
- Musical aspects for each figure and dance
- How to project your voice
- How to give feedback to your students
This Curriculum provides valuable information for motivated dancers who learn well from written resources. Acquiring the same information that dance teachers have will help fill in the gaps in your learning, giving you more details to see the “big picture” of what it means to be a good ballroom dancer.
What does the Curriculum Include?
The Business Kit contains the required materials you will need to run and teach the course effectively, including marketing and scheduling guidelines, “how to teach” resources and exercises, a host of course forms and templates, exam materials and much more.
- Business Guide: explains all the administrative aspects of the course, including scheduling and marketing, what to charge trainees and other money matters, qualifications for the master teacher, and overview of the course curriculum and exams. View Sample Chapter
- Resource Sheets: in-depth information that supplements the lesson plans. This 230 page book is divided into three main topics: how to run an aspect of the course; how to teach a topic; and, exercises to lead for a topic. View Table of Contents
- Forms Guide: samples and explanations of the forms included with the Curriculum. View Table of Contents
- Trainee Handbook: the essential guidebook for trainees enrolled in the Teacher Training program. View Table of Contents & Sample Chapter
- Teach Like a Pro: a required trainee textbook and corresponding reading assignments. View Sample Chapter
- Move Like a Champion: a required trainee textbook and DVD – Watch Excerpt from DVD
- Salesfree Sales: Audio Training program, written test and answer sheet. Listen to Excerpt
- Marketing Materials: brochure and enrollment PowerPoint presentation templates
- Exam Day Materials: evaluation forms, score sheets and grade calculation spreadsheet
- Trainee Forms: enrollment and copyright agreement, “Learn from the Pros” field study form, and welcome letters, schedule templates and certificates of completion templates for each quarter
- General Class Forms: sample contract for exam coach and class monitor, attendance sheet, contact list amd homework cards template
- Two 45-minute consultations with Diane Jarmolow
17 MASTER TEACHER MANUALS – the “Lesson Plans”
The Master Teacher Manuals contain detailed Lesson Plans, as well as information on how to use the manual. Each lesson plan is 2 hours and 15 minutes long, and includes a complete teacher’s script:
- Lesson Overview and Outline
- Timeline for Each Class
- Class Goals
- Which Figures to Teach
- How To Teach each Figure
- Elements to Introduce
- How to Teach New Elements
- Teaching Tips for Leaders and Followers
- Homework Assignments
Combined, the seventeen Master Teacher Manuals contain 128 lesson plans!
Each manual covers half the syllabus for two dances. For example, Rumba|Cha Cha_Part 1 covers the first half of the Bronze syllabus (figures 1-7). And Rumba|Cha Cha_Part 2 covers the second half of the Bronze syllabus (figures 8-15). The Argentine Tango manual includes the entire Bronze syllabus.
- Written Tests and Answer Sheets for Each Dance
- Routines for Each Dance
- Exam Assignments for Each Dance
What Does the Curriculum Cost?
includes the Business Kit and the complete set of Master Teacher Manuals (Lesson Plans) for the Smooth, Rhythm 1, Rhythm 2 and Nightclub sections (17 dances, 128 lesson plans plus all supplemental digital material).
*Save over $700 by purchasing the Full Curriculum!*
includes the Master Teacher Manuals (Lesson Plans) for either Smooth, Rhythm 1, Rhythm 2 or Nightclub sections, and corresponding written tests and answer sheets, exam assignments and routines.
includes the Business Guide, Resource Sheets, Forms Guide, Trainee Handbook, Teach Like a Pro textbook, Move Like a Champion textbook and DVD, Salesfree Sales Audio program, marketing materials, exam day materials, trainee forms, general class forms and two 45-minute consultations with Diane Jarmolow.
(Note: the Business Kit is included with the Full Curriculum)